May 16, 2007

Now & Then

I can finally say I've finished recording all of the songs for my upcoming album. They are now undergoing the last stages of mixing. There is a particular track that everyone seems to love and it's going to be my first single. My first single! I had recorded an indie album in the States, but none of the songs ever got airplay, nor did I really expect it. But this time, I'm actually going to hear one of my songs on the radio. I wonder how that would feel--to hear my voice over the airwaves for the first time? It's crazy. (And a little bit nerve-wracking. I mean, what would the critics say?!) Ah...but let me enjoy the positive stuff first!

Before I go on about the current events of my singing career, allow me to shed some light on some history. I grew up in a small city outside of Washington DC, where most of my friends were African Americans and my kind of music was R&B and Neo-Soul. At the age of 13, I would be nodding my head to Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, and Lauryn Hill. So people might wonder, "Why is she singing standards now?" Well, my friends and environment weren't the only things influencing my musical taste. Both of my parents are musicians and they come from opposite ends on a spectrum of genres. My dad is responsible for my propensity to Ray Charles, The Beatles, and Bread. My mom, on the other hand, has a more classic preference. Her repertoire boasts of standards sung by Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, and Natalie Cole. In a time where everything is being hurled forward into the future, sometimes it's a relief to go back. And I know a lot of people can agree with me when I say current trends are soon to expire. It's a risk to do something new (which happens to be old) but I'm sure the experiences are going to be worth it.

On the album, we've mixed up some favorite standards with a few covers of timeless pop songs. I am dreading what people would say about my rendition of an unforgettable OPM hit. The first time I recorded it in the studio, we almost decided to scrap it. They said I sounded too American. It might be cute for other artists to have that twang, but we didn't want to go for cute. We were reviving an OPM classic and we would need to do it justice. After some language coaching from my mom, I think the second attempt at the song was less futile. The other tracks on the album include my original compositions. One of them will also be a single in the coming months and I hope it can become something special to even a few people out there.

As the CD is almost out, we are already brainstorming for the first music video. Actually, we've done a bit more than just brainstorming. We already have a concept (which, I might mention, was partly conceptualized by me!) and now we just have to follow the steps. We are currently looking for a location to shoot and a certain someone to play my love interest. I just met with the production team this week and it was great to see that they are as excited as I am. We all want to do something different and at the same time simple, without forgetting to be evocative. If all goes according to plan, we'll be shooting the video two weeks from now. I have no idea what to expect since it will be my first video, but it goes without saying, I am so looking forward to it.

I won't try to deny it--it's a very exciting time! Practically no one knows about this blog yet, but I'll be spreading the word soon. If you are reading this, feel free to comment. I'd love to know what people make of this.

3 comments:

russkal said...

A recording artist? Wow, the intern has indeed blossomed into a star! Haha!

So when is the album coming out? And what's the name of your band? Let me know so I can download it in bittorre...err, buy it in tower records. Hehe

Good luck to you, Diane. I hope you still remember me when you're famous!

Dianne Elise said...

Ha, ha, ha. Very funny, Russ. You know I don't support piracy? Now more than ever! (For obvious reasons...) The CD should be out next month. Please support me when it does!

Anonymous said...

hi im kris2, i saw ur asap performance here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6omtNSBT_1c

at first i thought ur piolo's newest love team. bagay kasi. heheheehe but anyways i just luv ur swept away rendetion. i hope 2 get ur album soon. more power and God Bless!